• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is considered too many hours for an exempt employee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monicordova

I live in California and I am currently working under the classification of professional exempt. I am a salaried employee with a master's degree making 40,000 a year before taxes. I feel that I am asked too work way too many hours and consecutive days. I have worked numerous 12 and 15 hour days, 100 hour weeks, and have gone 4 to 5 weeks without a day off. Is this legal under my classification???

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no upper limit on what exempt employees can be required to work. In any state.

LdiJ

I live in California and I am currently working under the classification of professional exempt. I am a salaried employee with a master's degree making 40,000 a year before taxes. I feel that I am asked too work way too many hours and consecutive days. I have worked numerous 12 and 15 hour days, 100 hour weeks, and have gone 4 to 5 weeks without a day off. Is this legal under my classification???
Honestly? It really is time to find another job. What your employer is doing is not illegal, but its still flat out abuse and flat out treating you like a slave, for a piddling salary. Find another job and walk away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">