• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Happens After I Win An Unemployment Appearl Hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dhillen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
Recently I had a hearing on an appeal from my previous employeer. I won the hearing and was wondering if I should recieve the wages that were stopped during the appeal process?

pattytx

You mean the unemployment benefits (not wages) that were stopped? Yes, since you won the appeal, you will get back benefits. Don't know how long that will take, though.

JOliver

One thing you might want to also do is call your states Unemployment Agency once you've received your determination on your appeal. I can speak first hand that there was a "hold" placed on my unemployment payout for whatever reason. I was wondering where my $$$$ was because it didn't come with the ruling from the Administrative Law Judge (years ago) and it's because of the hold.

Once I called them they released the hold and I had they money within 10 days.

commentator

commentator

After you are approved by appeal, the adjudicator who made the decision is supposed to remove the stop code that was put in place on your claim when it was contested. If the system works, and you have continued to call in or go on line and make your weekly certifications as directed (even though you weren't receiving any money during these weeks) then your back week checks will be printed and issued within the week. If you have not been making your certifications, you'll have to re-open the claim and begin receiving benefits after each weekly certification from here on, but will not be paid for the weeks you didn't certify. I hope you followed the directions carefully while waiting to do the appeal hearing.

In the case of the person who had to call to get the benefits started, what happened was that for some reason or another, mechanical or human failure, your "stop code" did not get removed from your claim until you called about it. As overtaxed as the systems in every state are at this present time, it's a wonder it works as well as it does. Be sure and call when you have a problem, do not give up because you get a busy signal repeatedly and have to make multiple calls. It's up to the individual claimant to make sure the system works for you. The department can't fix a problem if they don't know it exists.
Congratulations on winning your appeal. Keep all your paperwork, evidence, etc, from this hearing as the employer may try to appeal again at a higher level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">