• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At what point do you contact the DOL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Macharity

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington DC

I believe I should preface this with saying that I work for a small company of 11 people. They have been sued by 2 employees in the past, 1 of which still works here.

I work for a bus company and my job basically involves arriving at the bus stop 30 min before departure, using my phone to check passengers onto the bus via the company website, riding with the bus until it completes all its pickups, then texting the company owner to let him know how many people traveled. We are then required to clock out unless another bus is leaving in the next hour. However this on an average day results in us sitting around for 1.5 to 3 hours until the next bus.

My questions/complaints are these:

1. Am I not entitled to some sort of compensation for being required to use our personal phone's data/text/talk to complete my job?

2. My phone was damaged whilst doing my job, is the company not required to repair it?

3. We are the definition of "Split-Shift" employees yet we are not compensated as such according to: http://dcregs.dc.gov/Gateway/RuleHome.aspx?RuleNumber=7-906

4. We are seldom compensated for our travel from the final dropoff back to where we arrived for work.

5. For a while I was working well over 40 hours but according to our manager I was not compensated for the overtime because it was split between 2 tasks at the same job (loading the buses & operating the office)

6. (Related to #5) During that time I was required to travel immediately from loading the bus in Northern VA to open our office in DC. Am I not entitled to compensation during that travel time and for travel expenses?

7. According to our manager we are paid "per bus" we Load. Not an hourly wage, This often leads to problems on high travel days such as Thanksgiving, where I may often end up spending several hours traveling to/from buses. Resulting in me working for 12+ hours but only being compensated for the buses we Load.

Any advice? I apologize for any confusion or lack of clarity. I can answer any questions when I get to my computer at home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">