• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withholding money from check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dseabo

What is the name of your state? OKLAHOMA

My company said that I fell below the required min. of 14 miles to the gal milage rule and therefore deducted $50.00 from my pay without notice or without providing and documentation to support their claim. my super went over the numbers with me and found that it showed just the opposite, my milage was better. they said they do not have to proove anything to me and were not returning the money. I got the answer they do not like the way i fill up with gas so i better get it right. Maintain min 14 miles to the gallon was the only rule we were given. where do i go to find out if by law they can do that.

thank you

daleWhat is the name of your state?

Beanie711

I tried to find answers at the Oklahoma government and business site and I got frustrated.

Soooo... I'm not sure if they can legally make deductions from your paychecks (outside of the government regulated taxes, ss, etc) without your written consent or not. Hopefully someone more versed in OK law will come along shortly...

pattytx

Did they reduce your GROSS pay (before taxes) or deduct from your NET pay (after taxes)? What is the basis for your pay normally? Hourly rate? Hourly + Commission? Mileage only? Which of the above (or all or none of 'em)?

dseabo

mileage deduction

I install dish network we are paid by the job on a point scale, company provides van and fuel and we must maintain a 14 mpg if we go under we have to pay out of our pocket to get the tank back to full. if u fall below the min they automatically take $50 out of your check as a deduction like they would for insurance. this done without warning or documentation supporting their claim, then when u get your check for that week and its short, well thats what happened to me, and when i said no their wrong i was told nothing i could do about it, they would not pay me back even after my supervisor ran numbers and found no errors, i have been told to drop it, hardly fair.....or am i wrong in my thinking.

thanks for the reply

dale

dseabo

They should be required to show you why they took the money out of your check not just do it with no explanation. They should have to inlude it in you envelope along with your check that states......you are being deducted $50 for the week of ?? for not maintaining your milage on .....that specific date the error was made. If they did that I wouldn't have a problem with it. What if I said my check was short this week you still owe me $50 and I want it now. They would ask for documentation indicating the error, so why can't we. Are they so great that they do not make mistakes that we must just 'take their word for it'. I am still really upset about the way they handled it. But to answer your question we did have to sign for our employee handbook where it states that we must maintain the 14 mpg but it did not indicate money would be taken from your check without notice.

pattytx

They should be required to show you why they took the money out of your check not just do it with no explanation. They should have to inlude it in you envelope along with your check that states......you are being deducted $50 for the week of ?? for not maintaining your milage on .....that specific date the error was made.
They should be required to do all those things; legally, they aren't required to do ANY of them, except to break out the $50 from other deductions on your pay stub and show it separately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">