• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work for free for one hour for mistake made at work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Question123

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I work for a company as a retail sales person. I work on commission only, no hourly pay. If we sell a pair of shoes with a miss matched size we are told we have to work one hour for free. Plus I already work one hour for free everyday when I first go in to set up and clean my area of work. Is this Legal? I am loosing money. And working for free for 2hrs. I have never signed an agreement that if I made this mistake I would work for free.
Please advise? Thank you in advance for any help you may provide. :confused:
Thank you again
Question123

Beth3

If we sell a pair of shoes with a miss matched size we are told we have to work one hour for free. Plus I already work one hour for free everyday when I first go in to set up and clean my area of work. Is this Legal? Absolutely not on both counts. Your employer cannot require that you work for free under any circumstances.

Contact Michigan's Department of Labor and file a complaint right away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">