• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

work related work off the clock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shelle1

What is the name of your state?NY-I RECENTLY WAS ASKED TO DO SOMETHING ON MY OWN TIME OVER THE WEEKEND WITHOUT BEING COMPENSATED FOR IT! IS THIS LEGAL FOR AN EMPLOYER TO EXPECT SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

Last edited:

JETX

shelle1 said:
What is the name of your state?NY-I RECENTLY WAS ASKED TO DO SOMETHING ON MY OWN TIME OVER THE WEEKEND WITHOUT BEING COMPENSATED FOR IT! IS THIS LEGAL FOR AN EMPLOYER TO EXPECT SOMETHING LIKE THIS?
Of course not. What did your employer say when you asked him about compensation BEFORE you did it??
And why did you insist on typing in all caps when that is considered rude and SHOUTING!!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
um, Jetx, before telling him conclusively that the employer is wrong, don't you think we should find out if he is exempt or non-exempt?

JETX

cbg said:
um, Jetx, before telling him conclusively that the employer is wrong, don't you think we should find out if he is exempt or non-exempt?
In my opinion, no. If an employer asks an employee (exempt or not) to do 'something' on the weekend without compensation, the employee can certainly say "No, sorry, but I have plans." or something similar. Or even, "And what compensation will I receive?". And at this point, we don't even know if the 'something' is work related.... or not.

So, rather than play 100 questions with this OP, I have provided the logical answer based on the facts the OP has provided. And why I asked the question I did. If the employer asked the writer to do 'something' and the writer said "Okay, no problem", then compensation may, or may NOT, be an obligation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I see your point; however, since an exempt employee has no legal expectation of any additional compensation regardless of what hours they work or on what days of the week, an employee who says No to an employer's request can be setting themselves up for termination. So, for that matter, could a non-exempt employee, except that since the employer cannot require a non-exempt to work without compensation, firing the employee for refusing could be seen as a wrongful term. Not so the exempt employee. Even if what the employer asked for is non-work-related, at least in an at-will state.

In any case, our discussion can certainly provide the OP with an expanded answer to his question!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">