• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working Off The Clock Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cerrajah

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Is it considered 'working off the clock' if your Manager calls you on a day that you have called out sick to discuss and make sure you understand all facts of a disciplinary meeting she held the day before with you while you were at work?
I work in a virtual call center work at home as a customer service rep. We had a meeting in which I was given a Written Warning about my Schedule Adherance not meeting the required 92%. After work, I became ill with a stomach flu and called out sick the next day. My Manager's District Supervisor called me at home saying she noticed I had called out and wanted to make sure I understood what had been said in the meeting the day before. She kept me on the phone for 30 minutes. When I came back to work after the sickness, I told my Manager what had happened, what was discussed and how long I was on the phone with District Manager and asked that I be paid for that 30 min. She stated she would bring up to District Manager about my request. She did ask and District Manager told her to tell me that their would be no compensation for that time on the phone call. I feel strongly that she is breaking the law by not compensating me. Am I right?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's put it this way.

Even if you are right, you are going to be going through a great deal of time and effort to get half an hour's pay at a time when you are already at risk of losing your job under circumstances where unemployment is not a guarantee, as it is. Is 30 minutes of pay really worth painting that kind of target on your back? Do you really think it is a good idea, when you are already just hanging on by your fingernails, to go waving your arms around?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">