• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful suspension prior to working overtime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaylrose

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband to be was suspended from work for two days prior to working overtime. To the best of his knowledge he had not done anything wrong. He had received no warnings, or disciplinary action. He picked up one of his coworkers shifts earlier this week which would mean that for part of this shift he would be working overtime. He had been given approval by his boss to work overtime. But when he came into work on Easter the P.I.C immediately called him into the Store Manager's office. The store manager suspended him for two days and told him that he is not to talk to any other employees for those two days. The PIC told him that he hadn't done anything wrong. We are getting married in august and that overtime would have really helped us out but now we have lost money because they suspended him for two days. I can understand sending him home so they don't have to pay him overtime but suspension seems like retaliation. Is there anything we can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Retaliation" is one of the current buzzwords that everyone likes to throw around but no one really understands.

Unless he had requested or used a right or benefit that is specifically protected by law (filed a workers comp claim, applied for FMLA, reported sexual harassment) and was suspended SPECIFICALLY (even through inference) because of this, then there is nothing resembling an illegal retaliation claim here. Working overtime is not a right protected by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">