• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 will questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

seabird

Can anyone request a copy of my will when I die even if I haven't included them in it? How would they do this?

Is there a time limit on which a will reading should be done within? Can anyone attend?

dmode101

1) Yes. After you die, your will is filed with the probate court and becomes a matter of public record. Anyone can get a copy of your will from the court. In addition, any filings in your probate estate are public record as well. This is one reason why people use living trusts to avoid probate.

2) It's amazing how much power Hollywood has. "Will readings" are, for all intensive purposes, a Hollywood fiction. This does not happen in real life and is certainly not required anywhere that I know of. If you are referring to a probate hearing (at which I can't imagine the will is read aloud), then sure anyone can probably attend if they wish, but they aren't usually that exciting. The probate estate is usually opened shortly after death, but at least in Illinois, there isn't a time limit, and in fact if an asset is discovered years after death, a probate estate may then be opened or re-opened if needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">