• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

6 months have passed and will not read yet!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

ks1925

My brother is the executor of my deceased father's estate. He died in December 2000. He has not made the will available to any of my brothers or sisters and it's been 6 months. He keeps promising "selected information" in two to three weeks, but all promises' deadlines pass and no word until asked again. Then more broken promises. Is there a time period (NewYork) that the will is required to be read within? Don't we have a right to know what is in the will? How could we ever contest what we don't know?

A

advisor10

MAY 31, 2001

DEAR KS:

Go to the county courthouse to check to see if the will has been filed yet--if it has you can view it and get a copy.

If it's not filed yet, speak to a local attorney to have him write a letter to the executor requesting a copy--an attorney's letter would have more weight and he would be more likely to respond.

Have you all been reading the local daily newspaper or legal newspaper (classified ad or legal notices section) to look for the e required notice of publication that will announce when the probate hearing for that estate will be held?

Your letter or phone call to the executor should also inquire as to when the probate hearing will be held.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">