• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment of my father's ashes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midwatch8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine
My father passed away June 29, 2007 leaving no will. My step mother is next of kin and holds the rights to his estate. As of today's date, she has had zero contact with the funeral home and has yet to pay the remaining balance. She has abandoned his ashes along with the bill. I do not know her location and have no method of contacting her but the funeral director will not release my father's ashes to me if I pay the remaining bill. What is my next step to claiming my father's ashes so that he can be laid to rest?

seniorjudge

Q: What is my next step to claiming my father's ashes so that he can be laid to rest?

A: I cannot imagine a funeral director not releasing ashes to the person who pays the bill, but if he will not, then you must hire a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">