• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acceptable Types of Communication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catsanimals4uca

What is the name of your state? FL
This is a general but it has to do with what kind of communication is legally acceptable. I sent an email and a fax to a bank requesting that funds in an inherited IRA be liquidated and placed in a daily money market fund. For a number of reasons, I have not had a good relationship with this institution. Should I also deliver a signed copy to the bank and ask for a receipt. (The trust officer that is handling my mother's assets never seems to be there.)

I believe they are stonewalling me. Is either email and/or fax and acceptable means of communication?

This is probably a dumb question, but I would appreaciate advice

Thanks

Dandy Don

Fax and e-mail is acceptable communication, but the only drawback is that you can't legally prove that the party ever actually accepted the communication. Best thing to do is send a certified letter with return receipt to the trust officer so he will have to sign to receive it, but you haven't mentioned whether they have done what you requested or not, and why wouldn't you want to go to the bank in person to get this done?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

catsanimals4uca said:
What is the name of your state? FL
This is a general but it has to do with what kind of communication is legally acceptable. I sent an email and a fax to a bank requesting that funds in an inherited IRA be liquidated and placed in a daily money market fund. For a number of reasons, I have not had a good relationship with this institution. Should I also deliver a signed copy to the bank and ask for a receipt. (The trust officer that is handling my mother's assets never seems to be there.)

I believe they are stonewalling me. Is either email and/or fax and acceptable means of communication?

This is probably a dumb question, but I would appreaciate advice

Thanks
Q: Is either email and/or fax an acceptable means of communication?

A: Yes.

Q: Is either email and/or fax the best and reliable means of communication?

A: No.

Q: Is either email and/or fax a recommended means of communication?

A: No.

catsanimals4uca

Dandy Don said:
Fax and e-mail is acceptable communication, but the only drawback is that you can't legally prove that the party ever actually accepted the communication. Best thing to do is send a certified letter with return receipt to the trust officer so he will have to sign to receive it, but you haven't mentioned whether they have done what you requested or not, and why wouldn't you want to go to the bank in person to get this done?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
I did go to the bank yesterday and made a verbal request. The trust officer was out of the bank, and another trust officer said she would send him an email. She also suggested, very nicely that I call before coming over to insure he was in. Only problem here is he was out of the office last week from Monday afternoon through Friday. They told me to call Monday morning, and he still wasn't in. I would not keep anyting of mine in that bank!!

BlondiePB

catsanimals4uca, I also replied to your other thread. The funds under control of guardian of the estate (the bank) cannot be touched by the heir or turned over to the estate account of the deceased until the guardian of the estate is discharged by the court. There are things that the guardian of the estate has to do and be submitted to the court, be audited and approved by the court prior to the guardian of the estate being discharged by the court.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

BlondiePB said:
catsanimals4uca, I also replied to your other thread. The funds under control of guardian of the estate (the bank) cannot be touched by the heir or turned over to the estate account of the deceased until the guardian of the estate is discharged by the court. There are things that the guardian of the estate has to do and be submitted to the court, be audited and approved by the court prior to the guardian of the estate being discharged by the court.
Ah! Facts conveniently left out in this post....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">