• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acces To Trust Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glimmerman

What is the name of your state? N.J.

I am the youngest of five children and my parents have setup a
living trust. Recently, there was a dispute/disagreement over exactly
what infor. I'm entitled to see.....my oldest sibling, whom my Father appoointed
trustee, is refusing to give me any information at all regarding the trust.
Though I am not sure, I believe that the trust document states 'trustee shall respond to reasonable requests for information' from the beneficiares. Generally, how does this work.. am somewhat removed from the rest/family & feel things
should be more open .

What are my rights in general here. ?What is the name of your state?

What is the name of your state? N.J.

I am the youngest of five children and my parents have setup a
living trust. Recently, there was a dispute/disagreement over exactly
what infor. I'm entitled to see.....my oldest sibling, whom my Father appoointed
trustee, is refusing to give me any information at all regarding the trust.
Though I am not sure, I believe that the trust document states 'trustee shall respond to reasonable requests for information' from the beneficiares. Generally, how does this work.. am somewhat removed from the rest/family & feel things
should be more open .

What are my rights in general here. ?What is the name of your state?
Assuming that your parents are still alive you are NOT entitled to any information about the trust. You stated that this is a "living trust" which is a mistaken term for an "inter vivos" trust. In an inter vivos trust the beneficiaries are, typically, the grantors, i.e., your parents. Therefore you are not a beneficiary until they are dead. Your older sibling may or may not know the terms of the trust, depending upon whether or not your parents have chosen to inform him/her about the contents of the trust as successor trustee. Now as a further matter, once you do become a beneficiary (after your parents are dead) then you have certain rights to information of the trust, but NOT until then.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">