• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accessing copy to a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bridgette25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

If a person is named as an heir in a will, can they get access to a copy of that will?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

Check at the county courthouse probate court to see if the will is filed--if it has been, and normally that is done within 30 days after the death, it is public record and you can get a copy.

bridgette25

Thank you. But what if the will didn't go through probate? My husband's uncle had a trust and the relative who had power of attorney just sent us a check through the mail. Is that standard procedure?

anteater

If your husband's uncle had a trust, then trust admisitration and designation of beneficiaries is governed by the trust document. Not a will.

The person who administers a trust is a Trustee. Not a "power of attorney."

I don't know IL specifically, but many states' statutes provide that beneficiaries be provided a copy of the trust and an accounting of the trust (and, if not required, at least on request).

bridgette25

Oh, this is getting quite interesting. We were told "the will didn't have to go through probate" and so I thought he had a trust. He did have a power of attorney so I will check out the county courthouse next. Thanks so much for your help.

bridgette25

Okay, so I know there was a will and this relative did have power of attorney. What I don't know is why the will didn't go through probate. The estate was around $100,000.
Do some wills go through probate and others don't? What are the reasons? And if it didn't go through probate would there still be a record of it at the courthouse?

Also, a power of attorney can't rewrite a will can he? Our uncle had alzheimers so I don't think he would have been of a sound mind at that time.

Okay, so I know there was a will and this relative did have power of attorney. What I don't know is why the will didn't go through probate. The estate was around $100,000.
Do some wills go through probate and others don't? What are the reasons? And if it didn't go through probate would there still be a record of it at the courthouse?

Also, a power of attorney can't rewrite a will can he? Our uncle had alzheimers so I don't think he would have been of a sound mind at that time.
Is the ESTATE valued at $100,000 or is the TRUST valued at that? If all the assets are titled in the trust there may well be nothing in the PROBATE estate.

Farfalla

POA became void the moment your uncle died.

No a person with a POA cannot rewrite the will.

las365

My husband's uncle had a trust and the relative who had power of attorney just sent us a check through the mail.
What account was the check drawn on? "The Estate of Uncle Bob"? "Uncle Bob's Family Trust"? The relative's personal account?

bridgette25

Check was written from relative's personal account. The estate was $100,000 and my husband received a check for $2000 as did ten of his cousins. However, many years ago our uncle showed my husband a copy of his will in which he was named sole beneficiary. So either uncle rewrote his will (which I can live with) or he was advised to which bothers me. And no, I don't know who has the other $80,000 but I can guess.

I just assumed it was in a trust since we were told it didn't have to go through probate but I have no proof of that.

anteater

How do you know that the value of the estate was $100,000?

$100,000 of personal property, with no real estate, is the maximum value at which a Small Estate Affadavit can be used in Illinois.

Have you checked at the county courthouse yet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">