• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

add wife name on house deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Douglas

I RECENTLY GOT MARRIED N I OWN MY HOME.HOW CAN I ADD HER NAME ON MY DEED, IS THERE ANY LEGAL FORM I CAN DOWNLOAD OR BUY.
THANKS,HAPPYLY MARRIED

ALawyer

You can prepare and file in the County Clerk's office a quitclaim deed that titles it in your name and hers.

BUT what would happen if you both got divorced (like 50% of all couples eventually do)? Or she has some creditors? Do you want her to have half then? Or only if you die? In that case a Will leaving it to her may be smarter for now, as you can change it later.

V

varthur

The form you need is called a "Quit Claim Deed". You can usually find it at office supply stores. Call your local county offices on their procedure for submitting this form.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">