• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding Someone To A Real Estate Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnindel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I own a condo. Can I add someone (a relative) to the deed/title so that he/she inherits the property from me? If so, what are the tax implications? Is his/her share of the property considered a gift from me? Would I pay a gift tax? Would he/she? If so, when would it be paid? Or, would the person simply inherit the property from me? Thanks.

tranquility

Unless you really want to give a gift of a present interest, I suspect your goals can be accomplished in Virginia with an Enhanced Life Estate deed. See a local attorney to prepare the deed and for advice on what that entails.

jnindel

Adding someone to a real estate deed

Thanks for the info. I am still interested in knowing what the tax implications are. I don't know if I should be setting up a meeting with a tax attorney or a real estate attorney or an attorney who specializes in wills and estates, or all three. I want to be somewhat prepared either way. Do you know what the tax implications are?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">