• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Administrator fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hickoryt

I have been administrator to my fathers estate. It has been a difficult estate my grandmother passed away a month before him and I had to handle some of finishing her estate. I have had to deal with a difficult sibling who is in the house owned by the estate and have had the law involved. My father had a lengthy investment portfolio that I have had to divide also. In Virginia the standard fee for administrating the estate is 5 % I feel I have done alot of extra work and want to ask my comissioner for 7% percent instead of 5%. I have more than enough dcumentation including Police reports, Investment portfolios etc to prove I have done extra work. Should expect this to be acceptable or not?

A

advisor10

1-30-2002

DEAR HICKORYT:

Yes, it seems that this would be acceptable. Virginia probate law mentions that executor's can charge "reasonable compensation" and no specific percentage is mentioned, so maybe you would be smart by not mentioning the exact percentage you are claiming, unless you were specifically asked to name the exact amount. Extra hard work does qualify for additional compensation.

But just to be on the safe side, you should discuss this with at least 1-2 other Virginia probate attorneys and get their opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">