• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Administrator Refuses to Give Beneficiaries Copy of Living Trust/ Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wan

What is the name of your state? OHIO

Kindest regards and thank you for any help and/or answers you can provide:

Our middle sister is the Administrator/Executor of our mother's estate. I (the oldest child) am the alternate Administrator/Executor . Our mother has been deceased now for approximately 6 months (she passed in 10/2006) . I saw what she ( the administrator) said was the Will, briefly, but was emotionally distraught at the time and not able to fully read the Will at that time since it was just days following my mothers funeral. I thought that it would be no problem for me to read the Will a little bit later. However, that has not been the case.

There are 3 remaining siblings including myself and we have asked the Administrator for a copy of the Will/Living Trust on a number of occasions, but she refuses to give us a copy. I checked with probate and the Will has not been filed there, as such, I believe that she may have a Living Trust instead of a Will. We asked her to give us an update as to what is going on with our mother's assets and she said that she does not feel like talking about it. She has locked up the family home and changed the locks on the house, as well as, placed an alarm on the house. None of us can go to the house any longer.

Prior to my mother's death, she always gave us keys to the house to come and go as we pleased. She further stated that she did not give a damn about us and has proceeded to change the directives that my mother left to carry out her wishes relative to the distribution of 3 insurance policies that my mother left for another sister and her two children.

Is there anything that we can do as she refuses to communicate with us or update us on the status of our mother's estate? Can we revoke her role as Administrator of our mother's estate in the State of Ohio?

Thank you!

Dandy Don

Filing a lawsuit to get her removed may only complicate the probating of the estate and there may be no legal grounds yet for asking for her to be removed. You do need to be consulting an attorney to find out whether you need the attorney to file to get probate opened up.

Please explain what you meant when you said the she "changed the directives that my mother left to carry out her wishes relative to the distribution of the insurance policies". Are these wishes in writing in the will? Does she have power of attorney?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Betty

You do need an attorney - you need to find out if there is a living trust or a will & if probate needs to be opened. Please explain a little bit more what you mean in regard to the life ins. policies. Usually life ins. policies are paid to the bene(s) named in the policies.
Thanks.

MrsMoe

Yes, get an attorney ASAP. By law you are entitled to the will, but the only way to do anything is to have legal representation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">