• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoptee Discrimination as Heir to Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My sister and I live in California, are legal adoptees and are adults. Our first cousin died without a will and before her death there was a guardian appointed, a lawyer who is now handling her estate. There was no will.
There are no other living heirs except my sister and I and two other cousins. My sister and I were daughters of my cousin's mother. The other two cousins are daughters of my cousins's mother. We are equally first cousins.

This lawyer is contending that since my sister and I are adopted, then the other two cousins are "closer" and are entitled to a greater share of the estate. As far as I know under the law, adoptees have 100% legal rights the SAME as biological born children!

Can we file a discrimination case against the estate? What kind of lawyer should we seek out?

T

Taxguy

>>? What kind of lawyer should we seek out? <<

Find a Probate/Estate lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">