• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice any Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

INeedHelp82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

Recently my mother died unexpectedly. An estate was never set up. There is is no will, no plan administrator, estate executioner.

She has no assets at all, just debt. A couple of credit cards, and a car loan, renting an apt, etc. Now i am her eldest child and i'm really not up to trying to become her plan administrator or anything of the sorts, do i absolutely have to set up an estate for her?

I'm just a very lost, everything i'm learning i'm learning by googling. Now i've read debt can't be inherited so i'm not worried about that. But i'm at the point where i'm trying to contact her creditors to let them know she's deceased and send them her death certificate. Do i have to set up a estate for her, just to let them know she's dead and she has no assets? It really makes no sense to just become an executioner just to let ppl know she's doesn't have any money.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FlyingRon

Without any assets you are under no obligation to do anything. Yes, when contacted I would send them a letter stating

1. She is dead.
2. Here's a death certificate.
3. You are responsible for the estate (not executor, pr, etc...)
4. You no longer wish to be contacted by them.

The primary debtors (credit card companies, etc..) usually will go away.
The scum sucking bottom dweller collection agents will continue to harass you for a while trying to tell you to "do the right thing." Ignore them.
Unfortunately, the federal regulations protecting people against these slime, only protects the debtor. As a third party you have little redress.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">