• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice appreciated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taff_Man

Hi all,

My granddad past away around 2 years ago and didn’t have a will so it was split up into 7 parts, 2/3 to my gran, 1/3 split between his 6 children.

Our share works out at nice sized site each. Build nice house with garden.

Nothing really happened with our share, like the land been split or anything. Then my gran got really sick all of a sudden and she's not doing too good and my aunts and uncles are trying to get us to sign the land over to my gran before she dies. They were saying that if we dont sign the land will be in no mans land and get auctioned off. They were all apparently going to sign over too. I was going to sign but my brother recons they are trying to get one over on us and I can be kinda gullible sometimes(especially when it comes to my gran and doing the right thing).

They said that if we sign over that the site will be there for us in future. They're all sibling's and really wouldn't suprise if they were trying to screw us.

I really dont care about the land but I dont want to be duped by my relatives.

So would there be any consequences from not signing it over to my gran.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

This division has turned into a mess already. Gran dying, is likely only going to further divide the division. It appears you have nothing to lose by holding tight and signing nothing. Your interest won't be further diluted.

Think of this like a family poker game. You know you don't have a winning hand yet, there are more cards coming and someone who is already "all in" the pot thinks they can bluff you into believing they have a wild card, when they don't. When the hand is over, even if they have won, if you do nothing, you get the same share of winnings above what they are all in. This means you have nothing to win, but something to lose, by giving away your fraction of ownership.

After gran dies and her portion is divided up, someone is going to have a majority interest. They are the most likely person for you to sell your interest to. You can then take that money and use it to get something you own by yourself. If the property can be sectioned off fairly, you could then have your own portion to build on also.

Taff_Man

This division has turned into a mess already. Gran dying, is likely only going to further divide the division. It appears you have nothing to lose by holding tight and signing nothing. Your interest won't be further diluted.

Think of this like a family poker game. You know you don't have a winning hand yet, there are more cards coming and someone who is already "all in" the pot thinks they can bluff you into believing they have a wild card, when they don't. When the hand is over, even if they have won, if you do nothing, you get the same share of winnings above what they are all in. This means you have nothing to win, but something to lose, by giving away your fraction of ownership.

After gran dies and her portion is divided up, someone is going to have a majority interest. They are the most likely person for you to sell your interest to. You can then take that money and use it to get something you own by yourself. If the property can be sectioned off fairly, you could then have your own portion to build on also.
That makes perfect sense thanks.

Are you in the U.S.?
No Ireland just looking for general advice.

tranquility

Are you in the U.S.?
Do we have "mums" in the U.S.? And, if a person dies without a will, that means it would flow by intestate succession. In the U.S. there are many different schemes on how to do that and each is dependent on the state question the OP deleted before posting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">