• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit of successor trustee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Can the executor of a Trust file an affidavit of successor trustee, before someone has died if they have power of attorney over the original trustee?

Then the next day quit claim all the property to himself as the Trustee without even consulting the original trustee?

OHRoadwarrior

No. That would be a violation of his/her fiduciary responsibility.

Notice to Person Accepting the Appointment as
Attorney-in-Fact
By acting or agreeing to act as the agent (attorney-in-fact) under
this power of attorney you assume the fiduciary and other legal
responsibilities of an agent. These responsibilities include:
1. The legal duty to act solely in the interest of the principal
and to avoid conflicts of interest.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=47522220381+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

Last edited:

Phs

highlight everything between and [url], then right click and select "open link in new window"[/QUOTE] I tried that and the page says this? WAISgate Error The specified action "retrieve" is not known.

Use the input parameter WAISaction to specify an action for WAISgate to perform

tranquility

Can the executor of a Trust file an affidavit of successor trustee, before someone has died if they have power of attorney over the original trustee?
While there are problems with nouns here, a trustee cannot benefit himself over other beneficiaries and, a POA of a person who is a trustee GENERALLY cannot act as the trustee.

Now, rather than ask a legally conclusory question, better would be to say what happened.

OHRoadwarrior

While there are problems with nouns here, a trustee cannot benefit himself over other beneficiaries and, a POA of a person who is a trustee GENERALLY cannot act as the trustee.

Now, rather than ask a legally conclusory question, better would be to say what happened.
OP, along with others listed in the trust, want to hijack and distribute the trust, before the trust originator dies, via a POA.

Phs

The executor ,who is the Trustee, has power of attorney over his mother,who is the original Trustee. There are many rental properties involved,and he has now quit claimed them over to himself.His Mother is 95, but has not been medically evaluated, and has not been deemed incompetent, she is just old,and signed the power of attorney because he is her son.
The other people in the trust are not getting anything yet, and probably wont, because he is collecting all rents, and not divulging his activities.He sends no form of accounting what so ever, and has told everyone in the family they are not allowed at the house anymore, or adult services will be notified. I want to notify adult services on him, but I need to make sure my case is worthy.
I am not in the Trust, his mother is my ex mother in law. Just worried about her,they are isolating her,and she is going down hill fast

Last edited:

tranquility

The executor ,who is the Trustee, has power of attorney over his mother,who is the original Trustee.
This sentence is legally impossible. One cannot be an executor until appointed by the court to manage the estate of a deceased. Power of Attorney only lasts until death (if durable) or incapacity (if not) of the party. So, is the party dead or alive? Is the purported executor currently trustee?

There are many rental properties involved,and he has now quit claimed them over to himself.
Himself as trustee? Who owned the properties, mom or the trust?
The other people in the trust are not getting anything yet, and probably wont, because he is collecting all rents, and not divulging his activities.He send not form of accounting what so ever, and has told everyone in the family they are not allowed at the house anymore, or adult services will be notified. I want to notify adult services on him, but I need to make sure my case is worthy.
Why? Just turn your suspicions over to adult services. The facts known, while not illegal on their face, certainly are suspicious. I'd guess they would do an investigation of some sort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">