• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grandprix

My question is in Florida where the estate of a person is roughly $1,000,000 what is the quickest the
beneficiaries of the will might expect to receive their shares? In this particular case there are 4 brothers
and all assets have been converted to cash, bonds, stocks and an insurance policy. There will be no contesting of the will. There are no creditors
to speak of. My older brother and the family attorney are the executors. I understand there are forms that must be filed on the state and federal level. Must clearance be given by the IRS before the estate can be divided?
I would ask my Brother but my wife and I have an opportunity to purchase a house and feel uncomfortable asking.
Could the estate be disbursed in weeks, a month or how long? It is
Fathers's wish to have the estate distributed as quickly as possible. Not that there would be any bickering
our Father doesn't want any delays to cause friction. My Father has taken advantage of the maximum amounts allowed to be given yearly to family members. Our Fathers condition is such that he may only have weeks to live. One of my brother's needs money more than the rest of us and has discussed his need with our Father and my older bother, the executor of the estate, along with the family attorney. My older brother told him he didn't know how short or long it would take. I feel uncomfortable asking but I don't believe in making decisons without informaton.
THANk YOU

ALawyer

It sounds as if an advance or a PARTIAL distribution could be made quickly if the trustee is willing to do it. The lawyer handling that should be told what the family wants and would able to comply. Until the estate tax is paid and the IRS has cleared the estate tax return, nothing is final.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">