• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Allowable to ask Bank for accounting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zachary

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL
Grandfather set up trust for my daughter whose Trustee was her uncle who refused to give out any Trust accounting info.
Finally the Trustee's lawyer told the Bank to go ahead and give my daughter her share of funds which she received in 2 checks, but no explanation as to the amounts.
We keep asking for accounting of the Trust from the uncle who refuses to give us paperwork so we can make sure distribution was correct.
Since bank acknowledged my daughters proper standing in Trust by dispersing the funds directly to her, can we ask the bank directly for copies of the accounting for these funds rather than having to hire a lawyer to force the banks hand?

Dandy Don

How did you ask for this information: orally? Proper procedure is to ask by certified letter sent to the trustee (have your trust attorney do it for you, so trustee won't ignore a request sent only by you). But of course trustee won't respond because he is afraid of his theft being discovered.

Get a trust attorney and get this trust audited (even though the expense will come out of the trust), and see if you beneficiaries have the right to request a trustee bond be posted to protect against any theft that might be later uncovered.

Won't do any good to request such information from the bank--they don't legally have to give you anything and they will only refer you to the trustee.

Thanks for being smart enough to suspect that something fishy is going on here.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">