• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alzheimer Dad changes will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shutterbuggirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease several years ago. He was living on his own and then my sister moved him in with her in another state. About 2 years ago, she had him change his will. He passed away in February 2014. There are 4 children and no one has heard anything about the will. We are wondering if she turned it into a trust or just had herself appointed executor and beneficiary. My question is: Is this legal? Was he able to change his will while not well? We have evidence, including doctor's letters and prescription info that show he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's before he changed his will. Do we have any recourse?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease several years ago. He was living on his own and then my sister moved him in with her in another state. About 2 years ago, she had him change his will. He passed away in February 2014. There are 4 children and no one has heard anything about the will. We are wondering if she turned it into a trust or just had herself appointed executor and beneficiary. My question is: Is this legal? Was he able to change his will while not well? We have evidence, including doctor's letters and prescription info that show he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's before he changed his will. Do we have any recourse?
So was he competent? What is the evidence that he did change his will? How was it changed? Was probate opened? If not, file to open probate and have the will produced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">