• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am I entitled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

toonice

My husband was one of the plaintiffs in a wrongful death settlement. The case has been settled monies awarded. He has since passed away. The monies have been divided. I am his surviving spouse with 4 children. Am I entitled to rec his portion? And if I have not what can I do to get it?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toonice:
My husband was one of the plaintiffs in a wrongful death settlement. The case has been settled monies awarded. He has since passed away. The monies have been divided. I am his surviving spouse with 4 children. Am I entitled to rec his portion? And if I have not what can I do to get it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Assuming there was no Will, you get 50%, and the children divide up the other 50%.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

advisor10

(01-27-2001)

Was your husband represented by an attorney? If so, then that attorney can advise you of what you need to do to claim his share of this money.

If you know for sure that the monies have been awarded and divided, then it seems somewhat strange that you have not been contacted about this, if you assume they had your husband's name/address and phone number on file. If you are familiar with what court that this case was handled in, then go to the courthouse to look at the case file documents, as there may be enough information in there for you to find out what attorney firm to contact to claim your husband's share.

If you can't find out any information on your own, then you really should contact a local attorney to represent you.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">