• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amount Guardians can be gifted in New York?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Romax

My Mom suffered a severe stroke and is in a Nursing Home.

My sister and I just went to court to share Guardianship of Moms estate. The nursing home will take all of her money except for the $20,000 the Judge said could be left in an account for "gifting the guardians". My sister said the Judge will divide that money based upon how much each one of us did for Mom before the stroke. My Mom had always wanted my sister and I to share this money equally, but my sister says it goes by how much we actually did for her.

My sister goes to Florida for 6 months out of every year, so when she did, I would be here for my Mom in whatever capacity she needed me, but mostly that was moral support via phone because Mom suffered from depression and always complained about someone or something. On the weekends I would go over to her house and take her food shopping, bank, etc. and out to lunch. My sister thinks she did more for Mom than I did.

Is there a specified amount that any one individual can be gifted? And do my Moms wishes come into this? She did want us to have half each, but my sister is saying that she did a lot of phone calls and all other stuff for my Mom so she deserves more.

How much am I entitled to in the state of NY?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">