• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appaisal of willed item for estate tax?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Help--please! My son was left 2 watches in his father's will--a Cartier tank watch and a Tag Hauer--They are supposedly in the possession of the attorney who is assisting the executrix--They were supposed to be mailed to my son today--He just received a fax stating that-"The watches need to be appraised for estate tax purposes" after that's completed then they'll be forwarded. He spoke to this attorney last friday regarding some other matters and requested them to be shipped then since my son would not be in the area for a while--the attorney had said fine-there was no mention of any appraisal needed--(I would like to add that these watches have been a sore spot with the descedants mother--when she left town after the funeral she took them with her under the eyes and knowlege of the executrix knowing they were willed to my son) When my son went back to the home after a surprise visit to this attorney's office a few days after the furneral (he walked in on a meeting that was going on with the descendants mother, the executrix, and the live-in girlfriend--my son had gone there to get a copy of the will) the watches were gone and immediately reported this to the attorney and the attorney retrieved them from the descedants mother--supposedly--What is this estate tax appraisa? Is it necessary for these watches? Their value is probably between 2-3K for both combined--Could this be a stall tactic? This is Ohio--A quick response would be appreciated--We are in the process now of trying to locate a top-rated probate attorney in this particular county if needed--in the meantime we need some answers. Thanks for anything you might be able to enlighten us with.

ALawyer

It could be a stall, but if the estate approached or exceeded $675,000 (including all property and life insurance and 401ks, etc.) an appraisal is not unreasonable as there will be an estate tax filing and IRS may ask for proof of value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">