• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asset Protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfo

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
Disabled veteran in TN will be awarded significant amount of money in divorce settlement.
Desires to invest money in legitimate retirement vehicles where assets can be "sheltered" from prying eyes. Wishes to retain control of investment decisions if possible, while maintaining maximum amount of "invisibility". This does not involve creditors or any other "fraudulent transfer" issues. Please advise.

Last edited:

anteater

OK, I am intrigued.

Which sets of "prying eyes" do you want to "shelter" the assets from?

Why would you not be able to retain control of investment decisions?

JETX

And why in the hell are you asking a legal advice forum for your estate planning. Talk with a good LOCAL estate planner.

tranquility

You really do need to see a set of professionals, including an estate attorney. They will interview you and find out your goals in detail and help you make a financial plan that can achieve the goals. There is no way this forum can advise you on your question.

jfo

ANTEATER: What prying eyes concern me? A person of even meager means needs to be aware of, if not always concerned by, "Nosy Nellies", "Big Brothers" and other covetous entities. However, they cannot covet what they are unaware of. As to losing control, some control of decisions is lost with some managed "retirement plans", annuities, etc.
Thank you for your interest.

JETX: 33,234 Posts!! You must live here. Why do I ask advice here? Wisdom is where you find it. Thank you for your time.

TRANQUILITY: You and JETX are right, I will need to see a local professional. But it has been my experience with most things that the better understanding you have of something going in, the better the outcome (and the more reasonable the cost). Thank you for your excellent and very appropriate quote, and for your concern.

REGARDING MY ORIGINAL POST: Further inquiry leads me to believe that I may be able to obtrain some measure of asset protection and privacy from public scrutiny, while retaining control of investment decisions, with a "special needs trust". Can anyone advise from their own knowledge or experience? Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">