• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asset protection from State Hospital care-cost recovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bingoldsby

I wish to marry a woman who is currently in the care (committed) of the Washington State DSHS mental health care system. The hospital claims that when we marry, they will come after my personal financial holdings (Inheritance, and in stocks/bonds) which is all I have for my retirement, and in the amount range of 6 figures, to recover the cost of her stay at that facility. No other assets would be at risk.

The Office of Financial Recovery will not provide any information as a guide to my understanding and/or discovery of the potential assessment against me in the event of our marriage. They will also not answer the question about how far beyond the release of the patient they might try to make a financial recovery effort.

Is there ANY way for me to protect my financial position against this state Office of Financial Recovery, so they cannot virtually wipe me out upon our marriage?

I have tried to contact 5 attorneys in the county of Washington State where my address of record is located, but so far, I have been unsuccessful at finding one who is willing to work with me on this.

If this is the wrong section for this kind of inquiry, please let me know where better to post.

Thanks.

davew128

Don't marry her? Sounds cold, but I have first hand experience of being involved with someone who's mentally ill to the point of state commitment. Nothing but bad things will happen.

bingoldsby

Don't marry her? Sounds cold, but I have first hand experience of being involved with someone who's mentally ill to the point of state commitment. Nothing but bad things will happen.
So is this a marriage and personals advice forum or (as I thought it was) a legal advice forum? Address the actual question and please don't judge me or my intended. Thank you.

Silverplum

So is this a marriage and personals advice forum or (as I thought it was) a legal advice forum? Address the actual question and please don't judge me or my intended. Thank you.
Was that a COMMAND? Or did you forget your manners for just a minute?

Proserpina

I wish to marry a woman who is currently in the care (committed) of the Washington State DSHS mental health care system. The hospital claims that when we marry, they will come after my personal financial holdings (Inheritance, and in stocks/bonds) which is all I have for my retirement, and in the amount range of 6 figures, to recover the cost of her stay at that facility. No other assets would be at risk.

The Office of Financial Recovery will not provide any information as a guide to my understanding and/or discovery of the potential assessment against me in the event of our marriage. They will also not answer the question about how far beyond the release of the patient they might try to make a financial recovery effort.

Is there ANY way for me to protect my financial position against this state Office of Financial Recovery, so they cannot virtually wipe me out upon our marriage?

I have tried to contact 5 attorneys in the county of Washington State where my address of record is located, but so far, I have been unsuccessful at finding one who is willing to work with me on this.

If this is the wrong section for this kind of inquiry, please let me know where better to post.

Thanks.

I have a question, and it's a serious question - and while I'm here, I'm telling you to stop getting persnickety with Silverplum and dave.

So.

She is involuntarily committed, yes?

Indefinitely? For what reason?

The questions are being asked for a very specific reason. Please answer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you marry her, you are legally responsible to financially provide for her treatment. It is that simple. And yeah, quit being rude to the posters here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is a legal advice forum. You received valid legal advice. Your sense of entitlement sucks.

bingoldsby

My last post of apology and message to Proserpina, seems to have gotten deleted. I'll try again. I'm sorry for the row, I just got my nose in a twist at the first response. Proserpina, if you would like to discuss this privately, please let me know. I won't post my email address again just now. That might have gotten me deleted in the first place. Thanks all,

Brian

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">