• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assets not mentioned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moleman

What is the name of your state?
California

My Father left out of his will, assets in a swiss bank account. My Aunt in switzerland wishes to access the funds to pay taxes on our swiss property. My stepmother recieved the community property upon his death and I inherited the real estate overseas in trust. Is the swiss account considered community property? Would it need to go through probate? The bank in Switzerland is asking for a certificate of inheritance (Our version of will) and power of attorney as well as specimen of signature and all of it authenticated by the state department in Washington before they can allow her access to the account. I just want to find out whether this is something my stepmother should be doing. I've always assumed that the unlisted account whether overseas or not would still be community property?

moburkes

What is the name of your state?
California

My Father left out of his will, assets in a swiss bank account. My Aunt in switzerland wishes to access the funds to pay taxes on our swiss property. My stepmother recieved the community property upon his death and I inherited the real estate overseas in trust. Is the swiss account considered community property? Would it need to go through probate? The bank in Switzerland is asking for a certificate of inheritance (Our version of will) and power of attorney as well as specimen of signature and all of it authenticated by the state department in Washington before they can allow her access to the account. I just want to find out whether this is something my stepmother should be doing. I've always assumed that the unlisted account whether overseas or not would still be community property?
Since it is an account that is out of the country, US law probably doesn't address it. Stepmom needs to get an attorney that can address these issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">