• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attempting to purchase judgment from estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlsebring

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am in the process of purchasing a judgment from an estate. The judgment holder died the year after the judgment was awarded. Prior to her death the holder granted a durable power of attorney to her son and daughter to sell or dispose of her assets prior to her death. This particular judgment was overlooked at the time and of course the DPOA expired upon her death.

Skip ahead now to just a couple of months ago (11 years after judgment holders death). The judgment met my purchasing criteria so I contacted the son and he and his sister wanted to sell the judgment. The local court clerk said I would need the letter of administration in order for the siblings to legally sell the judgment.

Upon contacting the siblings they informed that since all known assets were disposed of prior to her death and there were no assets or liabilities at the time of her death they did not probate and therefore no letter of administration.

To try and probate now would cost more that the judgment is worth. I have considered preparing a motion and order (I am not an attorney) for the siblings to sign and file using the original DPOA asking the court to grant allowing the siblings sell this asset since the original DPOA clearly said all assets tangible and intangible and this judgment was missed at the time.

Is this a viable direction or is there a simple solution or a solution period?

anteater

You can try, but, as you yourself said, the DPOA expired when the judgment holder did.

Florida does have a Summary Administration process for estates valued at less than $75,000. My vague memory is that the court fees are in the $250 range.

(11 years after the judgment holder's death? Is the judgment still good?)

rlsebring

You can try, but, as you yourself said, the DPOA expired when the judgment holder did.

Florida does have a Summary Administration process for estates valued at less than $75,000. My vague memory is that the court fees are in the $250 range.

(11 years after the judgment holder's death? Is the judgment still good?)
Yes Judgments good in florida for 20 years.

I forgot about summary admin. I will look into this. 250.00 would be worth it...

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">