• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney conflict of interest ????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

garygoldberg

What is the name of your state? Florida
My aunt recently passed away in florida and named me in her will as the beneficiary of any assets left over after all others have been paid.
My elderly aunt was befriended by her attorney with countless lunches and visits. This attorney drew my aunt's various wills over a period of 8 years. This attorney was left with a sizeable amount of money in the form of a bank account naming her as the beneficiary. Is there a legal or moral problem with an attorney befriending an elderly person, drawing up her wills, and ending up as a beneficiary????

Last edited:

divgradcurl

"Is there a legal or moral problem with an attorney befriending an elderly person, drawing up her wills, and ending up as a beneficiary????"

In general, yes.

"(c) Gifts to Lawyer or Lawyer’s Family. A lawyer shall not prepare an instrument giving the lawyer or a person related to the lawyer as parent, child, sibling, or spouse any substantial gift from a client, including a testamentary gift, except where the client is related to the donee."

Florida Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 4-1.8 Conflict Of Interest; Prohibited And Other Transactions

http://www.flabar.org/divexe/rrtfb.nsf/8bf68c7a6fda323085256bc800648cce/440d7aaa027bd6c585256bbc004bd9ef?OpenDocument

You could contact the Florida State Bar to discuss how to proceed.

HomeGuru

garygoldberg said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
My aunt recently passed away in florida and named me in her will as the beneficiary of any assets left over after all others have been paid.
My elderly aunt was befriended by her attorney with countless lunches and visits. This attorney drew my aunt's various wills over a period of 8 years. This attorney was left with a sizeable amount of money in the form of a bank account naming her as the beneficiary. Is there a legal or moral problem with an attorney befriending an elderly person, drawing up her wills, and ending up as a beneficiary????
**A: yes, I see a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">