• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney as Executor and Beneficiary (DC)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JeepBud

Is it proper for the decease's personal (estate planning )attorney to be named in the Will as a prime beneficiary and the estate's Executor (Washington DC)?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

As the executor yes.

As beneficiary, it depends. Did the decedent seek independent counsel to review/write will? Or is the lawyer/bene/executor same? I.e. lawyer 1 had duty to tell decedent to seek review and obtain a copy of what is basically a written okay/certificate from some lawyer 2 that what lawyer 1 has and will get is okay?

This link below will take you to the District of Columbia Code. Please check out ALL of Part III, wills! I am sure you will find your answer in there.

Hope this helps.
http://www.lexislawpublishing.com/sdCGI-BIN/om_isapi.dll?clientID=6591&infobase=dccode.NFO&softpage=doc_frame_pg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">