• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney on Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joey55912

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
My mom passed away 3 weeks ago, and I can't locate the attorney on the will. What should I do?

anteater

joey55912 said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota
My mom passed away 3 weeks ago, and I can't locate the attorney on the will. What should I do?
Your question is unclear. Do you mean that you can't locate the will?

If you have the will and are looking to begin probate, there is nothing that says that you have to retain the attorney that wrote the will.

joey55912

I don't think the attorney is in practice anymore or may have moved. I'm not sure if the will is valid and wanted to contact him before I filed probate.

Dandy Don

Contact your state bar association to see if he is perhaps still practicing in another city or county, or post his name here and city state, and I can check some databases to see if he is still around.

Is this attorney the official executor of the estate or merely someone who just helped draft the will and is not executor? IF he is not executor, then you can still submit the will for probate if it is signed and has witnesses's signatures.

What makes you think the will is not valid?

joey55912

First, thank you so much for your quick resonse and this site...
I will try to find him on the Bar.
She told me a couple of months ago that she was in the process of re-doing her will. Her husband is pretty insistant that it stay out of probate which makes me suspicious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">