• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aunty withholding Payment of will and living abroad. Blackmailing also for payment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hatemyaunt

Hello all,

I'm from the UK, i hope that doesn't change things but the forum seems to be mostly U.S. so please bare with me.

My aunty is the trustee of the will made by her sister (my mother) and was due to pay myself and my twin upon our 21st birthday. However, she has not done so and now i am 22. She at first claimed she had no time to do it and we were patient with her.

However, things have taken an ugly turn over the last year. She has divorced her husband and moved to Egypt, without sorting out the payment of our mother's will. She has since made trips back to the UK and now more recently has demanded that we pay her 10% of the amount for her troubles.

It was not agreed that she was to be paid and it is only a small amount anyway that is due to myself and my brother (£5,000). She also said via my Grandmother that if the £500 were not paid to her then she would not pay us the £5,000.

Now it seems a situation has come about where she looks likely to never release the money to us or she also seems likely to try and steal the £5,000 and run off to Egypt and bury her head in the sand (beneath the pyramids i assume).

We haven't spoken to her directly and she is using my Grandmother as an intermediary. I feel quite lost and upset that she would do this and i'm not sure how i would get the money that my brother and i are due.

Is this fraud/blackmail? Would the Police take this case seriously? Can i even go to the police/fraud squad over such a small amount? What options do i have?

Many Thanks

Dandy Don

You need to hire the services of a trust attorney to act as an intermediary, not a relative who has no legal experience. A trustee has no right to ask beneficiaries for compensation as her fees are deducted from the trust. Your attorney can audit the trust expenses and get what is rightfully yours if there is any money left.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">