• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

avoiding probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prevention

If I deed my house to my corporation, it will pass upon my death to the next head of the business. He can then sell the house if he wishes without probate problems. However, if I am John Doe, BDA (doing business as) XYZ Company (not incorporated), will the next head of the company (my son or other person) have ownership of the house and be able to sell it? The house deed would read XYZ company as owner. I am interested in PA and FL law.

curb1

Why would you do this instead of forming a revocable trust "to avoid probate"? Upon your death the house could pass almost immediately to whomever you desire.

You are talking about tax considerations if the business owns the house and then sells it. The proceeds of the sale would be held by the business. Distribution of the proceeds would then be subjected to taxation for the recipient of the proceeds.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">