• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A-B Trusts - what are they??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TK1469

Can anyone explain to me the difference between an "A Trust" and an "A-B Trust" ?? Are they different trusts or a division of a single one? How are assets titled when you do this? HELP !!

A

advisor10

2-20-2002

DEAR TK:

They are subdivisions of the first trust. An A-B trust is also called a bypass trust (or a bypass subtrust) and is designed to protect a spouse and save on estate taxes for estates over $600,000.

You would need to clarify your situation by giving more details, or visit a local library to find a book about trusts and look in the index to see if bypass trusts/subtrusts are mentioned, in order to get more information on how they are set up.

SINCERELY,

advisor

A

advisor10

2-20-2002

DEAR TK:

They are subdivisions of the first trust. An A-B trust is also called a bypass trust (or a bypass subtrust) and is designed to protect a spouse and save on estate taxes for estates over $600,000.

You would need to clarify your situation by giving more details, or visit a local library to find a book about trusts and look in the index to see if bypass trusts/subtrusts are mentioned, in order to get more information on how they are set up.

SINCERELY,

advisor

T

TK1469

More Information

My wife and I will soon be setting up a Living Trust. The attorney that I have consulted with said that since our estate is close to $1 Million that we should consider 2 trusts to avoid Estate Taxes. I guess I'm assuming it is a A-B Trust. Would it be 2 separate ones? If so, how would you title the assets that are now jointly owned??

A

advisor10

2-21-2002

DEAR TK1469:

I regret that I do not know enough about trusts to be able to answer your questions. This type of question should actually be directed in 2 places (it always helps to get a second or third opinion when it comes to estate planning). You could ask any bank that has a trust department and the trust officer could advise you about the tax implications, as well as also asking a CPA or tax accountant, or an estate planning professional.

The freeadvice.com site might also have a separate message board that handles tax questions which you might also want to submit your question to.

SINCERELY,

advisor

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">