• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back up co-trustee of trust.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Power99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
So my father passed away 15 years ago and created a trust for my mother along with my 2 siblings and I. My mother and the CPA at the time were named co-trustees. If one of them were unable to fulfill their duties, I was named as the back up co-trustee. The CPA is now sitting in jail and has had is license taken away. I am guessing that counts as being unable to fulfill his duty as co-trustee. I have not gotten any communication that I am now co-trustee and I think there has been money that has been spent out of the trust. Is there any legal things I should be doing?

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
So my father passed away 15 years ago and created a trust for my mother along with my 2 siblings and I. My mother and the CPA at the time were named co-trustees. If one of them were unable to fulfill their duties, I was named as the back up co-trustee. The CPA is now sitting in jail and has had is license taken away. I am guessing that counts as being unable to fulfill his duty as co-trustee. I have not gotten any communication that I am now co-trustee and I think there has been money that has been spent out of the trust. Is there any legal things I should be doing?
There is no "back up co-trustee". There might be a successor trustee that is a co-trustee.

Unless the trust disqualifies the CPA, he is still the trustee. Follow the trust.

Dandy Don

If you have not yet seen the trust, ask your mother to let you see it. And ask her to consult with a trust attorney to find out for sure whether CPA needs to be replaced or not. And find out if a trustees bond has been posted for this trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">