• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Successor Trustee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

besnyder

I am the sole beneficiary of a trust...I believe The Successor Trustee is not acting in my best interest. He has not even contacted me for over 6 weeks regarding any of the particulars of the trust nor even offered me a copy. I also can't even contact him directly. How can I have him removed? Do I need a lawyer or can I do it myself? State: Nevada

A

advisor10

2-19-2002

DEAR BESNYDER:

(1) Have you received any payments at all from the trust? Has the trustee given you any idea of what the total trust is worth?

(2) When did the death occur (of the person who left you the trust monies)? At the very least you should try to find out (from the trustee or perhaps by looking at the decedent's probate file at the county courthouse) the name of the bank where the trust money/account is being held.

I agree that this successor does appear to be acting in bad faith, but try to find out more specific information about why he is not keeping you informed before you decide to have him removed. There could be complicated aspects of the estate that may take time to resolve and he may not be able to answer specific questions you have if the figures have yet to be worked out.

You should also contact a trust attorney or a probate attorney to find out whether the applicable sections of the Uniform Probate Code apply in Nevada. This is a federal law that some states can subscribe to if they wish. There is a section in there that mentions that a beneficiary can request a copy of the original trust documents, plus an annual accounting for each year that the trust has been in existence, by sending a certified letter to the trustee, but only the attorney can tell you whether that provision would apply in Nevada.

SINCERELY,

advisor

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">