• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank account question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rocky00237

I live in Washington, it's a community fund state. I have a question about my bank account. I add my mother's name to my bank account before I got married and I have my income automatically deposit into this account every month. Just wonder if god forbid something happen to me. This account the money will goes to my mother? Or my wife has claim about this account? thank you.

Antigone*

I live in Washington, it's a community fund state. I have a question about my bank account. I add my mother's name to my bank account before I got married and I have my income automatically deposit into this account every month. Just wonder if god forbid something happen to me. This account the money will goes to my mother? Or my wife has claim about this account? thank you.
If it is a standard joint account, the money would belong to your mother.

Antigone*

i dont know if it is that simple - it is my understanding that marriage laws could apply ???
If this is a standard joint account, then all account holders are considered owners of the funds. If one passes the other still owns the account. At least this is true when it comes to banking regulations. Can a withdrawal by the surviving owner be contested by the spouse not on the account? That I cannot say.

TrustUser

hi aog,

it is my understanding that assets before marriage, and inheritances are separate property, if they are not co-mingled.

other than that, marriage laws tend to apply. since op is adding to this account on a continuous basis, the added funds would no doubt be "marital" funds.

trusts are good ways to keep properties separate. but i know you never want to add to them with funds "earned" from marital assets, or wage earnings.

i think there is a very good chance that the spouse could win a challenge in court.

Antigone*

hi aog,

it is my understanding that assets before marriage, and inheritances are separate property, if they are not co-mingled.

other than that, marriage laws tend to apply. since op is adding to this account on a continuous basis, the added funds would no doubt be "marital" funds.

trusts are good ways to keep properties separate. but i know you never want to add to them with funds "earned" from marital assets, or wage earnings.

i think there is a very good chance that the spouse could win a challenge in court.
I do understand what you are saying but the joint account holder is also a legal owner of this account, hence these funds. It would have to be proven that the funds in that account should not belong the the now only living owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">