• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank won't cash check because no trust was ever set up.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mchance818

My sister received a check for my portion of the sale of my father's house (deceased 2 years) made out as "Sister's name as trustee for My Name". She took it to her bank with the intention of depositing it into her account and sending a check to the firm where I have my investment account. Her bank will not cash the check. They say they need a trust attached to an account with "Sister's name as trustee for My Name". She would have set up an account but a trust was never created. How do we fix this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seems to me that sis needs to set up the proper account. I'm sure the bank can offer guidance on how to do that.

mchance818

thank you for the reply

She would have set up an account, but since there is no trust, there is no paperwork (which the bank is requiring). Maybe she will need to set up a trust? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Antigone*

She would have set up an account, but since there is no trust, there is no paperwork (which the bank is requiring). Maybe she will need to set up a trust? Thank you in advance for any advice.
She can also contact the issuer and have the change how the check is made out.

tranquility

How about telling us what happened before the check was issued and why it was issued in this manner.

Otherwise, I agree with Antigone*of*Greece, try to get the check reissued.

If not, you will need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">