• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irvineboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

For savings accounts like 401k, you can designate a beneficiary online and in case you pass, it goes to the beneficiary. I don't believe that you can designate beneficiaries online for checking/savings accounts and stock accounts. If you do, I can't figure out how to "Add beneficiaries" online like the 401k accounts offer in the profile section.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Why can't you designate beneficiaries for checking/savings accounts and stock accounts?
You can.

I have beneficiaries listed on my checking account and on all my Ameritrade accounts.

Your bank should have the forms at the branch or on the website. Make sure you keep a copy and let the beneficiary know about it.

Your stock broker (or website) should also have forms.

If anybody at either is telling you that you can't, I suggest finding other places to do business.

irvineboy

For my 401k accounts I was able to do it online easily. I can't figure out how to add beneficiaries for my Checking and other bank accounts online. Are banks more old school and require you to fill out forms in the branch?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

For savings accounts like 401k, you can designate a beneficiary online and in case you pass, it goes to the beneficiary. I don't believe that you can designate beneficiaries online for checking/savings accounts and stock accounts. If you do, I can't figure out how to "Add beneficiaries" online like the 401k accounts offer in the profile section.
irvineboy, it is preferred on this forum that all related questions a poster has are kept to a single thread. Because you have two active threads on essentially the same issue, you should pick one of the two and post all additional questions to that single thread. Thanks.

Following is a link to your first thread where FlyingRon spent some time answering your questions. The link is provided for the benefit of others.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/wills-trusts-estate-planning-113/living-trusts-v-last-will-628435.html

irvineboy

Ok all banks could do it. They have to make you fill out forms, the old way. You cannot do it online. It's strange that some banks require name, bday and SSN but other banks only require name. You would think policy and information required are the same at most financial institutions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">