• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chilipepper245

What is the name of your state? New York

When my parents were divorced they agreed upon in their divorce papers that my sister and I would be the irrevokable beneficiaries of their life insurances until the age of minority. My father passed away and we found that my father had not named us his beneficiaries at the time of us being under the age of minority and has since not changed his policy. Does the divorce papers supercede the life insurance policy?

divgradcurl

chilipepper245 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

When my parents were divorced they agreed upon in their divorce papers that my sister and I would be the irrevokable beneficiaries of their life insurances until the age of minority. My father passed away and we found that my father had not named us his beneficiaries at the time of us being under the age of minority and has since not changed his policy. Does the divorce papers supercede the life insurance policy?
No, the life insurance company is going to pay out to whomever is listed as the beneficiary. However, it might be worthwhile to discuss this with a lawyer -- even though the life insurance company is not bound by the divorce decree, dad's estate should be, and it may be possible to claim the money directly from the estate. However, whether or not you can actually do this is a question for a local attorney armed with all of the facts of the situation, and who can review the divorce paperwork in their entirety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">