• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary for IRA/401k

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rodney_kranz

Can someone tell me if I have this correct? As I understand it, if I have a 401k and/or IRA that is my own account that I have funded (ie not inherited), and I pass away (before age 70) - then if there is no surviving beneficiary, that the beneficiary is indeed considered my own estate, whether I explicitly name my estate as a secondary (or primary) beneficiary or not?

Kiawah

Rodney,
You should investigate the tax situation of inherited IRA's received via beneficiary designation, versus the taxes due if no beneficiary named and the IRA dumped into the estate.

rodney_kranz

The primary beneficiary will be my spouse. In the rare even that we decease simultaneously, then if there is no secondary beneficiary, then this is my question. I realize these accounts will get cooked regarding taxes in this case, but I think it is an unusual enough occurrence that I'll take that risk.

curb1

Why not name a secondary beneficiary? You seem to be intent on making a simple situation difficult.

rodney_kranz

Valid point, but I did not provide all of the detail. In the case in which my spouse and I decease simultaneously, I want to be sure that my children do not inherit these funds at age 18 (without having to establish some expensive trust, given such a rare occurance), therefore I establish a Children's Pot Trust in my will. The Pot Trust is only established if my spouse does not survive me. Since the trust will not exist until I pass away, then I can't name it as the secondary beneficiary for an IRA/401k, correct? Assuming that, does it sound like I will accomplish what I describe if I simply do not name a secondary beneficiary on these accounts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">