• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beneficiary switched

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lilprincess30

What is the name of your state? Florida

My father passed away recently and there was no will. There is a bank account and a 401K plan that named me, his daughter to be the beneficiary to the plan but while he was in the nursing home his sister had her herself renamed beneficiary. Is there any thing I can to do contest this being that I am his surviving child?

lwpat

You need to contact a probate attorney immediately. If you father was not competent you should be able to get the change reversed but you need to try to stop the distribution. It may be expensive so a lot depends on the value of the 410k. Your first step is to start probate and get yourself appointed as executor of the estate in order to get control of the bank account and any other personal assets.

Be advised that there are probably medical bills that may exceed the bank account and they will have to be paid out of the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">