• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Both my parents died - need help with probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HFS

state of florida
my mother died on May 3, 2001 and my father died on july 14, 2001, 71 days apart. They were both living with me in ohio but it has been determined that they were legally residents of the state of florida. i will be probating their wills soon and have a question concerning their double wide manufactured home. it is situated on a rented lot. i am aware that in the case of bankrupcy your home is exempt, but i was wondering if that was true in the case of probate? all my parents left were some insurance policies and this home and they are left to my only brother and me in a 50-50 situation (mom left everything to dad - dad to mom - and in the case of both deaths to my brother and me). i'm trying to be somewhat aware of what is supposed to happen before i go to florida. thank you for any help and advice you can give.

A

advisor10

JULY 25, 2001

DEAR HFS:

What is the value of this manufactured home? It is still considered part of the estate. Do you intend to sell it or rent it out to other parties?

Probate must take place in the state where the person dies. Are you properly probating their wills in Ohio? I'm not familiar with Florida law but was just wondering. Just for purposes of recordkeeping, you could also file a letter with the probate court in Florida that mentions that the main probate occurred in Ohio, but you need to find out whether you can have title to the home properly transferred to the new owners name (you) by the probate process in Ohio or in Florida.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">