• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bound by deceased spouse's will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

north

Texas. My spouse and I have identical wills: all assets are left to the survining spouse, at surviving spouse's death, or should both die together, the estate is distributed (not evenly) amoung the 5 children. Our situation is a blended family, he has three children, she has 2. My question: since situations change, does the surviving spouse have the ability to change the distribution of assets in a later will, or are they bound by the provisions for offspring that the deceased spouse designated in their will?

There is nothing underhanded about this question. We both would provide for all 5 children. But at a future time, the provisions that are applicable now may not be the best choice. Some of the children are well on their way to becoming financially set, while others are not. Would the surviving spouse have the right to adjust the cash or property distribution?

thank you, I hope I am making this question clear.

ALawyer

There are some unusual provisions that can sometimes apply in terms of contracts for reciprocal wills, but usually, either party can change his or her will at any time for any reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">