• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother as Executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ericme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My parents have left a will that was drawn up by a local attorney. It basically leaves everything to my brother and I with a 50/50 division of assets. It also names my brother as executor. My brother and I don't share a favorable relationship. Is there any way he can make this division of assets without my agreeing to his terms?

tranquility

Is there any way he can make this division of assets without my agreeing to his terms?
Yes. You have no say is the distribution or division of assets.

IF in the distribution he breaches his fiduciary duties, THEN you could sue.

anteater

Is there any way he can make this division of assets without my agreeing to his terms?
Your question is awkwardly worded. What do you mean by "agreeing to his terms"?

The executor follows the will's provisions. If he does not, you petition the court to order him to do so.

Ericme

Your question is awkwardly worded. What do you mean by "agreeing to his terms"?

The executor follows the will's provisions. If he does not, you petition the court to order him to do so.
If his version of the division of assets is not equitable. He has already asked for all monetary assets and would leave the real estate property to me. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">