• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother-in-law, robbing sisters of their portions of the family estate!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jaa

My brother-in law has kept all proceeds from the sale of the estate to include the sale of land/real-estate and all auction monies. He has not dispersed any monies? He sold the house last year without notifying anyone of the sale and hasn't dispersed any proceeds from the sale yet! No one has ever agreed to him selling anything. We never signed anything authorizing him to use our percentage of the will for his personal gain.Can the realtor who sold the home and my wifes brother(the executor of the estate be held liable for all monies recieved from the sale of the land/real estate? Can my brother in law be held liable for not dispersing any monies whatsover and selling items without the written consent of his sisters which are 40% owners of the estate? State:Missouri: Presiding now in Texas.What are the statue of limitations for this situation?

[Edited by Jaa on 01-07-2001 at 07:31 AM]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I think you should be okay statute of limitations wise. BUt get to it ASAP.

They both cannot do that, and in fact, have both breached fiduciary duties to you and the rest of the beneficiaries. They will be liable for interest accrued on those monies, possible embezzlement (civil and possible criminal action) and might be personally liable to return all monies.

go to http://www.attorneypages.com to find an attorney in estate planning. if no luck there, call the state bar where the will was probated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">